My name is Anjula Cheema and I am a British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) registered adult therapist. My work is governed by the BACP code of ethics. I am also a registered United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapists (UKCP) child and adolescent psychotherapist and provide therapy (short and long term) to both children and young people in Milton Keynes (UK) and the surrounding areas.
Since 2011, I have provided one to one therapy for a range of organisations based in Milton Keynes and London. Two of these delivered specialised therapy: one to young people (aged between 11-25) and the other to female survivors of domestic violence. I currently provide one to one therapy to children, teenagers and adult survivors of domestic violence through Womens’ Aid. I also work for Milton Keynes Social Care Directorate providing long term therapy to children in the care system, a number of Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP), which are offered by many employers, and run a busy private practice.
Through the above, I have worked with many clients on issues which include abuse including sexual abuse, trauma, domestic violence, self harm, low self-esteem and confidence, identity, cultural issues, transition, loss, anger, anxiety, stress, depression, and relationship issues.
My clients have come from a range of backgrounds and so I have experience of, and more importantly a great respect for difference/diversity based on grounds which include age, sex, religion, ethnic and cultural background and sexual orientation. I have an interest in how these kinds of differences influence our behaviours and emotional health.
I also have an interest in working with trauma in both children and adults and have received post qualifying training in this area.
- I qualified in 2012 with a Masters Degree in Integrative Counselling.
- In 2019 I obtained a UKCP Masters Degree in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Counselling.
Post Qualification Training
- Trauma and the Therapeutic relationship – Exploring the subtle process of embodied attunement, empathy and integration.
- Working with the Body in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- The use of role in therapy.
- Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery.
- Working with Autism in adults.
- Adult psychopathology.
- Working with Birth Trauma.
- Parent infant psychotherapy.
- Working with autism in children.
- Grief and bereavement in children.
- Use of sandtray.
- Elements of music therapy.
- Eating Disorders.
- Mental Health Disorders in children and adolescents.
- Play Therapy.
- Systemic Family Therapy.
- Theraplay Level 1.
- Attachment styles and Eating Disorders.